Vineville United Methodist Church, the oldest daughter of Mulberry Street United Methodist Church, was begun in 1846 to serve wealthy planters of the village of Vineville, just outside Macon. It has been located on this site since 1897. The current sanctuary was completed in 1926, and additional structures have been erected since then. Construction of the current sanctuary was completed in 1926, and it was completely renovated in 1950. Devoted to evangelism, Vineville has been instrumental in the establishment of numerous other United Methodist churches in the city. Home to three former bishops of the church, Vineville is actively engaged in home and foreign missions and is an integral part of the Macon community. The church’s, humble prayer is to continue to serve the Lord with gladness and boundless energy.
Vineville built its first church building in 1848, and later that year it began holding class at Lake Academy, which became Bass United Methodist, Vineville’s first daughter church. Vineville moved into its second sanctuary in 1897, and the original building was sold to another congregation. The structure was re-erected near the Ocmulgee River and was washed away by a flood in 1902.
At the end of its first year, Vineville reported a membership of 99. It now has more than 2,100 members.
One of the church’s outreach efforts in the neighboring Pleasant Hill community is called PleasantVille Neighbors. Click to learn more about this flourishing local mission.